I have learnt techniques for acoustic analysis of the voice using Praat and can output and interpret waveform and spectrogram like those below.
I’m competent with both Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator. A few of my designs are below. For more design work, check out my Behance profile.
I’m a Microsoft Office Specialist Master! In addition to all the standard stuff, I’ve done a fair bit of macro-enabled Word template creation and student records system (SITS) to Access to Excel data flows, as well as a little Visual Basic for Applications.
I played the drums on an acoustic kit from 2005 to 2011 (almost reaching grade six) and invested in an electronic kit in 2016. I’ve also experimented with beatmaking in Ableton Live (I now have an AKAI Professional APC Key 25 and (soon) an AKAI Professional MPD218) and rap and sing along to tracks when no one’s listening! I’ve had keyboards in the past but sadly they’ve usually just gathered dust. A selection of vocal-alongs (covers) and original beat and vocal tracks are in the playlist below. More tracks can be found on my SoundCloud profile.
I have a Canon 550D with three lenses (Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II), a flashgun (Canon Speedlite 430EX II) and various other pieces of kit. I use Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop for editing. A few of my photos are below. For more photography work, check out my Flickr profile.
I offer proofreading and editing services for all sorts of content, including but not limited to:
- academic work (e.g. essays; personal statements; research proposals; theses);
- advertising and publicity (e.g. flyers; leaflets; posters; websites);
- creative writing (fiction and nonfiction, e.g. articles; novels; short stories);
- information dissemination (e.g. bulletins; letters; newsletters);
- job applications (e.g. curricula vitae/CVs; personal statements);
- presentations (e.g. posters; slides);
- technical writing (e.g. constitutional documents; manuals; reports).
Details of services and rates, as well as testimonials, an estimated cost calculator and a service request form are available on the dedicated proofreading and editing page.
I have learnt a range of statistical analysis methods and can apply/execute these using R in R Studio. I used these to analyse data for my master’s thesis and also for a (very short) quantitative analysis of The Roots’ discography, and I’ll be continuing to use them in my PhD and side-projects; check out in the academia section of the website for a taste. I’m also proficient with Microsoft Excel formulae.
I’ve delivered formal training on trans and non-binary identities (to both students of medicine and university staff) and on creating and editing an academic profile using WordPress.com (to PhD candidates as part of Queen Mary University of London’s GradFest 2017). For the latter I created a step-by-step guide, which is available from the resources page. I’ve also provided plenty of informal training on technical skills to colleagues in previous roles.
I have a good understanding of typesetting using LaTeX, having created a small number of papers in this format including my master’s thesis. I’m currently using LaTeX to typeset my PhD thesis. I’ve also used LaTeX/Beamer for slideshow presentations in the past. A few papers typeset in LaTeX are available in the academia section of the website.
My BA was in film and television production – I focused on editing but practised and studied a variety of roles. Credits outside of my degree are listed on my LinkedIn profile. I have a Canon 550D with three lenses (Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II), LED lighting (Neewer CN-160), microphone (RØDE Stereo VideoMic Pro) and boompole, shoulder mount and various other pieces of kit. I use Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects for editing, and have previously used Avid. A few of my productions are below. For more videography work, check out my YouTube profile.
Web design and management
I have learnt and developed skills including:
- administration through roles with Rural Insurance and York St John University;
- chairing through roles with York LGBT History Month and York St John University LGBT Staff Network;
- event and festival management through roles with York LGBT History Month, York Pride and York St John University LGBT Staff Network;
- strategic management through roles with the University of York Graduate Students’ Association, York LGBT History Month and York Pride;
- minute-taking through roles with York LGBT History Month, York Pride and York St John University (including the LGBT Staff Network).
Five skills I really value and regularly apply/ied in my academic, professional and voluntary work are: